31 January 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters


In this spin on the fairy tale, Hansel & Gretel are now bounty hunters who track and kill witches all over the world. As the fabled Blood Moon approaches, the siblings encounter a new form of evil that might hold a secret to their past.
(January 30, 2013)


I make it a habit of putting up an entry about the films I watched in cinemas. Actually, I don’t know why but it seems fun so there it goes. By the way, this was the first film that I’ve seen this 2013. Yeah, I know its like I’ve got no time but I do. Anyway, I was with my high school friends Patrick and Jam yesterday (January 30, 2013) and clearly, as stated, we watched Hansel & Gretel. Seems a good flick so we decided earlier on to watch it. Okay this ain’t everything I wanted to put in here but I’ll just start with what i think about the film and so on…
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is about the title duo hunting witches and clearing their of a crime they didn’t commit. The first few minutes tells the classic fairy-tale story which serves as an origin to when the duo decided to become “Witch Hunters”. These few minute gives you an indication on why the movie won’t work. It takes itself too seriously and attempts to be dark and gritty. There is never a sense of danger; you always know the heroes will come out on top. There’s also a romance aspect to the movie which goes underdeveloped. It has some good humor, but even that is ruined with some of the bad dialogue. My favorite being a scene when some stranger blows up in a pub and some character says “AWESOME”. There’s a recurring joke that serves as a plot point to on Hansel eating to much candy as a kid, though the movies nor audience like I am cares about that. I would go into detail with the hinted romance between Gretel and a Troll, but I’m more enrage with the endings that leads up to a sequel. It has some good moments.
Believe it or not the film has some good actions scenes, actually a lot. The action scenes were brutal filled with blood and gore. Heads are smashed, heads are decapitated, witches are shot at, people explode, and many more entertaining gory moments. If there is anything I would criticize that’s not story related are the weapons. Seriously, shotguns, pistols, and a mini-gun which don’t belong in the time period at all, but those weapons are pretty awesome. As for the cast they are decent. Jeremy Renner did prove he could be a capable action star in some of his previous roles. Here he just looks ridiculous fighting in a cookie house, using milk bottles as weapons, and being dragged by witches flying on their broom. Famke Janssen nailed her role as the main villain. Famke Janssen doesn’t get a lot of screen time, but she steals the show every time she’s on screen. Gemma Arterton who plays Gretel is basically there to look pretty, though she was very fun to watch because she didn’t take her role too seriously. The cast makes it enjoyable and it does contain some solid action scenes, but it’s still base on a fairy tale that needed none of that.
In the end of it all, I still enjoyed watching it, not that classic fairy tale at all. I like the twist, who cares if others don’t. 
Love,
- D.✯

No comments:

Post a Comment